Never intentionally start a fire.
Do not waste any time saving property. A small flame can get completely out of control and turn into a major fire in less than 30 seconds. It only takes minutes for a house to fill with thick black smoke and become engulfed in flames. Once it is, you will have to navigate out of the building without any visibility. Immediately take the safest exit route (the least fire or smoke).
If you must escape through smoke,
Never Open Doors That Are
Hot To The Touch
When you come to a closed door,
If the door is hot and there is no other escape route,
If your situation becomes critical,
The designated meeting location should be away from the building, but not necessarily across the street. Example: under a specific tree, at the end of the driveway or front sidewalk.
Take attendance. Then send one person to call 911. You want to make sure no one including firemen will be sent in to look for someone who's already outside and safe. This is why it's important to meet with the group. Once you've checked in at the meeting place, someone should be chosen to notify the fire department using 911.
Alcohol and Fire
Alcohol impedes good judgment, coordination and evacuation procedures. More than 50% of adult fire fatalities involve victims under the influence of alcohol. On college campuses the link between alcohol and fire fatalities is even more apparent.
Carbon monoxide is a deadly invisible odorless gas produced by burning any fuel, including natural gas, petroleum, kerosene, oil, coal and wood. This gas is impossible to detect by sight or smell and can reach deadly levels very quickly.
Never operate gas-powered engines or generators in an enclosed space such as the garage. This includes any gas powered yard equipment, cars, motorcycles, motors, etc. Fuel burning appliances include furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, clothes dryers, water heaters, and space heaters. When these appliances are working correctly, they expel CO to the outside of the house through an exhaust pipe. However, if they do malfunction, they could release deadly carbon monoxide into the house. For this reason CO detectors should be placed throughout every house.
Initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu, and include...
undetected CO can reach high levels very quickly causing...
Carbon monoxide can be released during the night causing entire families to die in their sleep, so make sure your house contains CO detectors. CO is just one of many toxic fumes present during a fire, emphasizing the importance of an immediate exit from the building.